Foreword

"Selected personal readings from three daily devotional books based on Brother Watchman Nee's ministry - 'A Table in the Wilderness', 'The Joyful Heart', and 'The Lord my Portion'." ~ Bro Mike (朱堅宜)

Monday, June 11, 2007

A Cheerful Giver

"God loveth a cheerful giver." - 2 Corinthians 9:7

The servant of the Lord should learn to give as well as to receive. Yet how hard it often is to do so! I remember once I was setting out on a journey up river to take part in some important meetings. I had to trust the Lord for my fare, and I had only eighteen dollars in hand. The river boat would take me only so far, and I might need anything up to $300 to hire a boat for the rest of the way. Yet before I left, God told me to give away to a friend six of my sorely needed dollars. I started off, found quite unforeseen cheap travel provided from half way, enjoyed a most blessed week, and was amply provided for for my return journey. What a joy to discover when I got back that my gift of six dollars had been desperately needed!

All too often, I fear, we are bad givers. If I am only a receiver and not also a giver, I am unworthy of the God who sent me. The divine principle is not 'Save and you shall grow rich.' It is 'Give and it shall be given unto you.'

A Table In The Wilderness (Watchman Nee 主僕倪柝聲弟兄)

Read the Scriptures: 2 Corinthians 9